Impaired driving is a serious offence that can leave a lasting impact on your life. In addition to a criminal record, you can’ll incur substantial financial penalties.
Fines for Impaired Driving as Outlined in the Canadian Criminal Code
The Canadian Criminal Code outlines the penalties imposed on individuals convicted of an impaired driving charge. Alcohol-impaired driving, drug-impaired driving, combination of drug and alcohol impaired driving all have similar penalties. Fines increase if you are found with a higher level of blood alcohol concentration (BAC).
The following table outlines the fines associated all types of impaired driving charges:
Have you been charged with impaired driving? Consult a lawyer for your impaired driving charges to learn about the strength of your case.
Hiring an Impaired Driving Lawyer
Enlisting the help of a DUI lawyer is a wise decision that could prevent or minimize the consequences of an impaired driving charge. The cost of hiring a DUI lawyer for your impaired driving charge varies greatly.
Impaired Driving: Cost Breakdown
- Case evaluation
- Formulation of a defence strategy to fight your impaired driving charge
- Drafting and filing legal motions
- Court fees and filing costs
- Billable hours spent completing paperwork
- Hours spent in the courtroom and working with you directly
Call (855) 585-1777 for a free lawyer consultation and to learn more about the potential costs of fighting your impaired driving charge.
Administrative Costs for an Impaired Driving Charge
Immediate Roadside Suspensions
Law enforcement officers are authorized to administer roadside suspensions at the time you are stopped based on provincial laws.
Administrative Consequences of Impaired Driving
- Towing & Storage
- Safe Driver Recognition
- Impaired Driving Education Programs
- 1st Offence: DWI Program
- 2nd Offence: Alcohol and Drug Education (ADE)
- Subsequent Offences: Addictions assessment
- Ignition Interlock Program
Ignition Interlock Program
If your driver’s licence is suspended due to alcohol-impaired driving, the Ignition Interlock Program lets you start driving before the end of your suspension. This will make it easier for you to maintain employment and fulfill commitments that require driving. Click here to learn more about the eligibility, duration, and conditions of the ignition interlock program.
Notable costs of the ignition interlock program include:
- Installation of Ignition Interlock Device: $140
- Vehicle transfer fee (includes removal and installation): $250
- Lease (rental) fee - per month: $70
- Unlock code / Emergency Override: $75
It is crucial that you abide by the rules and regulations of the ignition interlock program. Fees accrue quickly due to numerous costs such as unscheduled service, violation reset, missed appointments, early termination, and replacement of a lost or damaged handset and vehicle interface unit.
Smart Start Canada outlines the fee schedule associated with the installation, maintenance, and removal of ignition interlock devices in the table below.
Call (855) 585-1777 to consult a lawyer about the administrative penalties for your impaired driving charge.
Understanding How an Impaired Driving Charge Affects Insurance Rates
Your insurance carrier will cancel your policy or raise your rate upon learning about your DUI. Additionally, insurance companies have the right to refuse to cover your claims if they find out about a DUI that you chose not to disclose.
Once you have been convicted of an impaired driving charge you’ll find it difficult to get car insurance. Insurance companies view drivers with a record of impaired driving as high risk. You’ll need to seek out insurance companies who offer policies to high risk drivers. Such policies usually come at a much higher premium.
Factors that Impact Your Insurance Rate After an Impaired Driving Charge
- Driving Record: Did you have a clean record before your DUI?
- Time: Time since your last accident, claim, or DUI will impact the cost of your insurance.
- Classes: Taking classes demonstrates your commitment to improving your safety record and determination to stay sober while behind the wheel.
Charged With Impaired Driving? Hire a DUI Lawyer
When charged with impaired driving, hiring a DUI lawyer is essential. A DUI lawyer specializes in defending those accused of driving under the influence, possessing the necessary expertise to navigate legal proceedings, protect your rights, and build a strong defence strategy. Their assistance can lead to reduced charges, minimized penalties, or even an acquittal. Ensure the best possible outcome by securing a DUI lawyer's services when facing impaired driving charges.
- Impaired Driving Charge: Next Steps & Choosing a DUI Lawyer
- First-Time DUI Offence: What Happens Next?
- Canada’s Ignition Interlock Program: A Guide for DUI Offenders
- How to Challenge Charges of Drunk or Impaired Driving in Canada: A Guide
- Impaired Driving – Regina Criminal Lawyer Explains